Widgets Magazine

2012 Cape Cod Baseball League Recap: Second Team

Written By on 1st October, 2012

The Cape Cod Baseball League is widely regarded as the top collegiate summer league. Comprised of rising sophomores and juniors, the league provides a valuable look into the upcoming draft season, serving as a starting point for early draft boards and preference lists. To prove a point – of the 25 collegiate players selected in the 1st and Supplemental Rounds of the 2012 MLB Draft, 20 played on the Cape, including 12 of 14 tabbed in Round 1.

This summer, Al Skorupa, Peter Wardell and newly added writer E. Tyler Bullock covered the CCBL. On Monday, we provided our individual takes on Best Tools. On Friday, we announced our First Team. And today, we unveil our Second Team and All-Sleeper Team, all with brief scouting reports and video.

First Team | Second Team | All-Sleeper Team

2012 CCBL Second Team

Catcher: Mitchell Garver, Sr., Hyannis (New Mexico)

Despite a strong junior campaign at New Mexico, Garver went undrafted this June but did earn an invite to the CCBL where he’d post an impressive .298/.354/.457 line. Garver is a bat-first catcher with a smooth swing, good strength and improving feel for hitting. Behind the plate, he’s an adequate defender with good receiving skills and below-average arm. His bat will have to carry him in pro ball and I’m not convinced it will. -Peter Wardell

1st Baseman: Conrad Gregor, Jr., Orleans (Vanderbilt)

Gregor is a power-hitting 1B with an excellent approach (unanimous Best Strike-Zone Discipline in Monday’s Best Tools piece). He displays quick hands and tremendous pull power, however it’s his consistency at his plate that stands out. Gregor is a patient hitter with great pitch recognition and very rarely wastes at bats. On the summer, he led the Cape with 38 walks (next closest was 26), while finishing top 10 in batting average (.329) and home runs (7). Defensively, Gregor made impressive strides at 1B over the summer, earning the nickname “The Dancing Panda” and shows enough athleticism to think that he could profile as an average 1B/LF in pro-ball.  -Peter Wardell

2nd Baseman: Brett-Michael Doran, Soph., Hyannis (Stanford)

Very consistent middle infielder. Doran is solid defensively and at the plate. When hitting, he displays quick hands and with better use of his lower body the power numbers should rise. He seemed to do the right thing all the time for Hyannis. -E. Tyler Bullock

Shortstop: Alex Blandino, Soph., Yarmouth-Dennis (Stanford)

Blandino has some of the quickest hands I’ve seen and does a tremendous job getting inside the ball. He makes loud, consistent contact and projects to be an average to above-average hitter. A bit slow-footed at times, Blandino was solid as the Y-D shortstop/third-baseman this summer, displaying smooth actions and a strong arm. While he may profile as a 2B long term, I do believe he could at the very least provide some positional flexibility at SS or 3B. Blandino plays with a chip on his shoulder and has a little grinder mentality in him. -Peter Wardell

3rd Baseman: Eric Jagielo, Jr., Harwich (Notre Dame)

Jagielo didn’t immediately stand out from a tools perspective on a loaded Harwich squad, but his numbers at the end of the season compared favorably to those of anyone in the league. It was hard for me to fully endorse Jagielo as I think he lacks the athleticism to play 3B as a pro and he showed some blocky actions over there. His arm was fairly pedestrian for a 3B as well. He likely doesn’t run well enough to fit long term in a corner OF spot, either. Still, Jagielo’s impressive bat speed and power might force a major league team to find a place for him down the road. This bat just isn’t exciting for me at 1B, but Jagielo can most certainly hit… and to be fair I had the same reservations about Richie Shaffer’s profile last summer and he’s improved significantly at 3B since. -Al Skorupa

Outfielder: Austin Wilson, Jr., Harwich (Stanford)

At first glance, Wilson obviously has the size, tools and athleticism to put him in consideration for going 1st overall next June. Still, its hard to find a scout who is willing to completely endorse Wilson. His inconsistent approach and tendency to give away ABs is maddening to watch. Wilson will sometimes work an AB into a nice hitters count and then he softy grounds out on a pitch in the dirt. To Wilson’s credit he can just as easily wow you as he can have you pulling your hair out. His power is so easy he doesn’t even need to square the ball up for it to leave the park – and his power is overwhelmingly to the opposite field right now. He doesn’t even look for pitches to extend his hands on and drive, nor has he come into his pull power. Wilson seemed aware of his Stanford swing issues and from one at bat to the next his swing place would go from tabletop flat to a loopy uppercut as he tried to adjust and correct. Despite the flaws Wilson is a tremendous talent that will be very difficult for teams to pass on next summer. He’s a five tool monster athlete who might arguably have been the best athlete and had the best power and best arm of any player on the Cape. -Al Skorupa

Outfielder: Pat Biondi, Sr., Cotuit (Michigan)

Biondi’s batting average was over .400 until 8/2 (he’d finish with a league-high .388) and his OBP was almost 100 points higher than his average! He showed the ability to hit to all fields consistently. I was amazed at his attention to detail during at-bats and his ability to work counts and get his pitch to drive. He doesn’t have a lot of size or strength, but he should profile as a very capable table-setter at the next level. -E. Tyler Bullock

Outfielder: Daniel Aldrich, Sr., Cotuit (College of Charleston // SIGNED: YANKEES)

Immense raw power! A “different sound” type of guy during batting practice. Aldrich prefers to pull the ball and the amount of effort he uses to swing might lead to some strikeouts. However, he has an intriguing raw power profile and a lot of bat speed. He signed with the Yankees after the Cape season. -E. Tyler Bullock

Designated Hitter: Trevor Mitsui, Soph., Brewster (Washington)

Mitsui, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound first baseman from Washington, held his own in a talented Brewster lineup this summer, batting .298/.371/.482. The rising sophomore has a smooth right-handed swing with above-average power and very few holes for his size. He stays inside the ball very well, shows great balance and finishes strong. Mitsui is a competent defender at 1B and makes the plays that he’s supposed to. -Peter Wardell

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Trey Masek, Jr., Falmouth (Texas Tech)

Masek has a strong four pitch mix and sits in the low 90’s. He’s undersized at 6 foot tall and his extreme over the top delivery makes his fastball very straight. Command and control were issues at times but Masek showed an ability to miss bats and battle. -Al Skorupa

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Michael Wagner, Jr., Chatham (San Diego)

With a lithe, projectable pitcher’s frame, Wagner very much looks the part of a starting pitcher despite pitching in relief for the University of San Diego. Wagner commanded a strong repertoire led by his 90-92 fastball and 78-82 slider. Wagner showed stuff, command, present velo and projection and really impressed scouts this Summer. He has all the tools to continue his success starting games next Spring. -Al Skorupa

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Chad Green, Jr., Bourne (Louisville)

Green is a tall, athletic righty with a very easy delivery. He can sit between 92 and 93 from a mid 3/4 delivery. He shows the ability to throw fastballs on either side of the plate with arm-side ride. With a more consistent slider, Green could be a huge riser around draft time. -E. Tyler Bullock

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Mike Mayers, Jr., Bourne (Ole Miss)

Mayers is an extremely gifted athlete with outstanding throwing mechanics. He has a very repeatable delivery and arm motion that allows him to maintain velocity deep into baseball games. He keeps his tight slider low and in the zone. With a more developed change-up, Mayers could be a potential top of the rotation starter. -E. Tyler Bullock

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Austin Voth, Jr., Brewster (Washington)

Voth was one of the most dominant starters on the Cape, striking out 52 over 35.2 innings, but persistent control issues kept him from rating among the elite. Voth features a low 90’s fastball which he moves all over the zone challenging hitters, a straight change with good arm deception and a hard slider that – while inconsistent – serves as his out-pitch. He has a good, clean arm action but fails to consistently repeat his delivery and struggles with release point. I have little doubt that he should be able to overcome these issues. -Peter Wardell

Relief Pitcher (RHP): Dan Slania, Jr., Cotuit (Notre Dame)

Tall, big-framed flamethrower. Throws fastball hard (95 mph), with late life, and to both sides of the plate for strikes. Power curve and deceptive change-up mixed-in well for strikes. Very intense with game on the line and focused enough not to let anything get him rattled. If Suggs doesn’t have such an amazing postseason run, I wonder if Slania isn’t a unanimous first-team selection. -E. Tyler Bullock

Peter Wardell
Peter Wardell
About Peter Wardell

Peter Wardell is a recent graduate from UCLA and writes about amateur and minor league baseball for Bullpen Banter. Peter covered the Cape Cod Baseball League this summer and will be covering the Fall Instructional League and Arizona Fall League. In addition, Peter is an intern at Baseball America. He can reached on twitter @peter_wardell or by email at pwardell@ucla.edu

Articles, Cape Cod League Observations, Prospect Video, Scouting

One Comment on "2012 Cape Cod Baseball League Recap: Second Team"