Widgets Magazine

2012 Cape Cod Baseball League Recap: Sleeper Team

Written By on 4th October, 2012

The Cape Cod Baseball League is widely regarded as the top collegiate summer league. Comprised of rising sophomores and juniors, the league provides a valuable look into the upcoming draft season, serving as a starting point for early draft boards and preference lists. To prove a point – of the 25 collegiate players selected in the 1st and Supplemental Rounds of the 2012 MLB Draft, 20 played on the Cape, including 12 of 14 tabbed in Round 1.

This summer, Al Skorupa, Peter Wardell and newly added writer E. Tyler Bullock covered the CCBL. Last Monday, we provided our individual takes on Best Tools. On Friday, we announced our First Team. And today, we unveil our Second Team and All-Sleeper Team, all with brief scouting reports and video.

First Team | Second Team | All-Sleeper Team

2012 CCBL All-Sleeper Team

Catcher: Kaiana Eldredge, Jr., Falmouth (Kansas)

Eldredge played mostly 2B in the spring for Kansas and was listed as an infielder on Falmouth’s roster. He was surprisingly adept behind the plate with a very strong arm and I recorded multiple pop times in the 1.8x range. His receiving, blocking and game management are raw but he’s an extremely athletic backstop with a body that fits well behind the plate in the pros. Eldredge didn’t hit well on the Cape but he has the bat speed and swing mechanics to succeed. He made some loud contact in batting practices though his power likely profiles as more of the gap to gap variety. -Al Skorupa

1st Baseman: Chase McDonald, Jr., Bourne (East Carolina)

McDonald is a big, strong 1B that shows good agility for his size. He displays plenty
of power to all fields and can diagnose and destroy off-speed pitching. McDonald really shows impressive bat speed for such a big-bodied hitter. -E. Tyler Bullock

2nd Baseman: Carlos Asuaje, Jr., Yarmouth-Dennis (Nova Southeastern)

Hailing from D-II Nova Southeastern (Florida), Asuaje was the 2012’s under-the-radar/small-school/pop-up prospect that opened some eyes on the Cape. Offensively, he’s a fairly polished left-handed contact hitter with a good up-the-middle approach and good discipline. In the field, Asuaje is a plus-defender at 2B (he spent the first half of the summer at 3B), showing smooth, athletic actions, soft hands and terrific instincts. For me, he’s someone who certainly warrants a mid-round flyer.  -Peter Wardell

Shortstop: Jack Reinheimer, Jr., Bourne (East Carolina)

Ideal body and athleticism for the position. After a slow start, Reinheimer was impressive at the plate and in the field. He showed excellent bat control and is impressive during hit and run situations. Very toolsy and his draft stock will soar with more consistent play. -E. Tyler Bullock

3rd Baseman: Adam Nebulowich, Jr., Cotuit (Washington State)

Tall infielder who showed good movement in the field. I really enjoyed his smooth swing that produced a lot of solid contact. He was easy to overlook because of Jagielo and Moran, but was a very solid, consistent presence in the Cotuit line-up. -E. Tyler Bullock

Outfielder: Michael O’Neill, Jr., Falmouth (Michigan)

O’Neill was one of the biggest risers on the Cape. In fact, his stock has risen so much we debated whether he even qualified as a “sleeper” but decided to include him since we wanted to discuss him and he couldn’t break the star studded top teams above. O’Neill is capable of making some hard contact but his stiff got swing at times. He also would expand his strike zone and chase some bad pitches on occasion. The hands and raw hitting talent are here, though, and the great appeal of O’Neill is athleticism. He clocked the fastest 60 time at Cape Scout day and his superior athletic talents really stood out. This is not the type of athlete you typically find in the Big Ten. -Al Skorupa

Outfielder: Jacob May, Jr., Cotuit (Coastal Carolina)

May is a slightly undersized corner OF with very good athleticism in a similar mold to Phil Ervin. He has plenty of bat speed and a very good feel for squaring up the ball. Much like with Ervin, the size and corner OF fit leave some profile question marks… but also like Ervin, May’s bat, athleticism and hustle largely overcome those issues. -Al Skorupa

Outfielder: Cody Kulp, Sr., Orleans (Shippensburg)

Kulp, a rising senior from D-II Shippensburg, stood out for his athleticism and plus arm. Splitting time between CF and RF this summer, Kulp showed good defensive instincts and range and projects to be an above-average defender. At the plate, Kulp has the bat-speed and makes hard contact but it’s inconsistent. -Peter Wardell

Starting Pitcher (RHP): Craig Schlitter, Jr., Falmouth (Bryant)

Schlitter mixed all of his pitches well and threw a ton of strikes. I loved his pitchability. He was not amazing on the gun but his pitching savvy and moxie made him extremely effective. He possessed the ability to get guys out in big spots and showed great intensity and focus doing so. -E. Tyler Bullock

Starting Pitcher (RHP): David Whitehead, Jr., Harwich (Elon)

Whitehead received nominations from all three of us when discussing pitching sleepers. At 6-5/238, the rising junior from Elon is an imposing right-hander with a workhorse frame. Whitehead works both sides of the plate with a heavy, low-90’s fastball that misses bats while both his changeup and breaking ball are works-in-progress. While he doesn’t rack up the strikeout totals, Whitehead does a good job keeping hitters from squaring up and generates lots of groundballs. -Peter Wardell

Starting Pitcher (LHP): AJ Reed, Soph., Harwich (Kentucky)

While the raw stuff isn’t dominating, Reed profiles well as a command and control lefty. He’s naturally deceptive and has an advanced feel for pitching but tops out at 90 and often works in the 86-88 range. There’s probably not front of the rotation potential here and he’s already filled in at 6’4, 235 lbs… still, Reed is only entering his sophomore year and has plenty of time to improve his stock, stuff and velo. -Al Skorupa

Starting Pitcher (LHP): Michael Theofanopoulos, Jr., Brewster (California)

A bit overshadowed by fellow Brewster southpaw (and Cape 1st teamer) Tom Windle, Theofanopoulos is another athletic left-handed starting pitching prospect that impressed. He generates a high number of ground balls and was very tough for opposing hitters to square up. Theo sits 89-91 with tilt and good fade. He changes speeds with his breaking ball – one a big breaker that he lands for strikes, the other a power curve that he buries – and shows the ability to really spin it. Long term, Theo profiles as a back of the rotation starter or valuable left-handed reliever with potential success against both right-handed and left-handed hitters. -Peter Wardell

Starting Pitcher (LHP): Adam McCreery, Soph., Cotuit (Arizona State)

Big, tall freshman clocked as high as 92. I like that he generates good angle from a left-hander and believe there are a few more ticks on the gun to gain. He possesses broad shoulders and a huge frame, he will become more successful the more he works his change-up into his repertoire. -E. Tyler Bullock

Relief Pitcher (RHP): Alex Powers, Jr., Chatham (Southern New Hampshire)

Powers had one of the most lively fastballs on the Cape out of the Chatham bullpen. His riding heater ranged from 89-93 and was very tough for hitters to square up. Powers also throws a shallow cut slider with good arm speed that he can locate for strikes. -Al Skorupa

Peter Wardell
Peter Wardell
About Peter Wardell

Peter Wardell is a recent graduate from UCLA and writes about amateur and minor league baseball for Bullpen Banter. Peter covered the Cape Cod Baseball League this summer and will be covering the Fall Instructional League and Arizona Fall League. In addition, Peter is an intern at Baseball America. He can reached on twitter @peter_wardell or by email at pwardell@ucla.edu

Articles, Cape Cod League Observations, Features, Prospect Video, Scouting

2 Comments on "2012 Cape Cod Baseball League Recap: Sleeper Team"