Widgets Magazine

2013 Fantasy Prospect Rankings: Outfield

Written By on 2nd April, 2013

These fantasy prospect rankings are for the typical 5×5 format. Players are eligible at a position if it’s more likely than not they will eligible at a position in the future. The tiers are comparable across lists.

Already discussed: CatchersSecond BaseThird Base, Shortstop

Tier 1

Oscar Taveras
Christian Yelich
Wil Myers

Taveras and Yelich are the only five category performers in Tier 1, but Myers’ carry tool – power –  justifies an elite ranking too.

For 2013, Myers is the best option. His debut will be soon and he won’t struggle. His power will play immediately and his batting average will not be as poor as many project it to be.

Next for this year is Yelich. Don’t be surprised if Yelich is called up this summer, after the Marlins broke camp with Fernandez anything is possible. His advanced approach will make for an easy transition to the Show, but his power may a year or two to develop. Plus, playing in Miami will suppress his home run power early on.

Initially Taveras’ approach may cause him to struggle but he is the best long term fantasy option in the traditional format. He’ll post a high average, double digit steals and above average power too.

Tier 2
Billy Hamilton
George Springer
Jorge Soler
Byron Buxton
Albert Almora

Springer will spend the year at Double-A as the Astros are in no rush to start his clock.  Far too often he gets overlooked. He’ll be a four category contributor with 25/25 or better potential. His power and speed (and swing and miss) are for real.

Billy Hamilton is the most overrated prospect in baseball, but he will have great fantasy value stealing 60+ bases a year. If you’re thinking he reaches triple digits, you’re crazy. He won’t get on-base enough and professional pitchers and catchers are more adept at shutting down the running game. Still, 60 stolen bases will cover his batting average, home run and RBI deficiencies.

Now we’re into the “Below Double-A” part of the list. The remaining players- Soler, Buxton and Almora – have four or five category potential but they’re too far away to select above their elders.

Tier 3
Courtney Hawkins
Mason Williams

This pair is also in the “Below Double-A” group, but they have bigger question marks than the Tier 2 cadre. Hawkins’ profile resembles Springer’s profile. His hit tool is questionable but he has big power and speed. As he ages, his stolen bases could dissipate, but now he projects to but up large numbers in four categories.

Williams was a last second addition, bumping off David Dahl. William’s has standout speed and more power projection than most his size. As worst he winds up a two category guy, steals and runs, but there is a chance he touches all five.

JD Sussman
JD Sussman
About JD Sussman

JD is a co-founder of Bullpen Banter and muses about prospects, sabermetrics, and often intermingles law and baseball in his work. In addition to managing the site, JD is awaiting admission to the New York Bar. Additionally, he sporadically contributes a prospect column toFangraphs. Be wise and follow him on Twitter. He can be reached via e-mail at jdsussman@bullpenbanter.com.

Articles, Fantasy

2 Comments on "2013 Fantasy Prospect Rankings: Outfield"

  1. Profile Photo
    Brian April 2, 2013 at 2:10 pm -

    Where would you rank Yasiel Puig? Thanks.

    • Profile Photo
      JD Sussman April 2, 2013 at 2:40 pm -

      Brian, Puig was in consideration. Everyone is in love with him after a 23 minor league games – 9 in Rookie League and 14 in the CAL – and his impressive Spring Training, but I’m not sold, yet.

      Clearly, he is strong, but I wonder if he’ll keep his legs under him against better pitching. His swing is inconsistant and gets long at times. I’ll wait for Chris to see him in person and to catch him on MiLB.tv before buying him as a Top 10 outfielder. If I’m a Puig fantasy owner, I’d look to deal him now. His hype couldn’t be higher.