Widgets Magazine

2013 Fantasy Prospect Rankings: Second Base

Written By on 26th March, 2013

These fantasy prospect rankings are for the typical 5×5 format. Players are eligible at a position if it’s more likely than not they will eligible at a position in the future. The tiers are comparable across lists.

Already discussed: Catchers

Tier 1
Juickson Profar
Anthony Rendon

Neither Profar or Rendon are primarily second baseman they both satisfy my “more likely than not” standard. So long as they are both Rangers, Profar will be blocked by Elvis Andrus for at least the next two seasons. While second base isn’t the only foreseeable option for Profar, it’s a reasonable option. At the major league level Profar is a 15/15  to 20/20 guy with above average to plus runs and batting average.

Like Profar, Rendon isn’t a second baseman but if he is going to play for the Nationals this season, second is the most likely destination. Rendon’s fantasy value is hurt by his lack of speed. The average second baseman stole 14 bases in 2012 and Rendon has yet to steal one in his brief professional career. Still, he should be above average or better in the four other categories.

Tier 2
Trevor Story

After watching him in Arizona, I’ve become a big believer in Trevor Story. He’ll spend the year at shortstop in the California League, but with Tulowitzki entrenched at shortstop Story’s home is second base. He could be a five category performer but he’s a long way away.

Tier 3
Jedd Gyorko
Kolten Wong
Delino DeShields Jr.

Wong and Gyoko are MLB ready but have average regular upside.  Wong’s home run total will be below average, but his batting average should bolster that deficiency. Gyorko doesn’t have Wong’s speed but there is substantially more power upside here. I see it settling in as average, but it could be a tick above.

DeShields is also a long way from being a productive major leaguer, but his fantasy value could be immense due to his ability to steal. But speed isn’t his only asset. He’s built like a fire hydrant and could hit for moderate power too.

Tier 4
Eddie Rosario
Chris Owings
Jonathan Schoop
Nick Franklin

This group has received its fair share of hype but I’ve never been a big believer in any of these players. All missed my personal Top 100, which will be released next week. Owings’ inability to walk won’t hurt him in fantasy, but his trouble with breaking stuff should keep his batting average below average.  There’s still value here though, as his power and speed could both be above average. Franklin and Schoop have always been divisive prospects. There are those who love them, but all I see is a nice power. There is upside, but not enough to roster.  Rosario has put up great number and there is a fair argument to bump him up a tier, but I’m skeptical his long swing plays at higher levels.

JD Sussman
JD Sussman
About JD Sussman

JD is a co-founder of Bullpen Banter and muses about prospects, sabermetrics, and often intermingles law and baseball in his work. In addition to managing the site, JD is awaiting admission to the New York Bar. Additionally, he sporadically contributes a prospect column toFangraphs. Be wise and follow him on Twitter. He can be reached via e-mail at jdsussman@bullpenbanter.com.

Articles, Fantasy

One Comment on "2013 Fantasy Prospect Rankings: Second Base"