Widgets Magazine

Cape Cod League Observations: Week 8

Written By on 15th August, 2012

As the Cape League season draws to a close, this is the last weekly installment of this series for the year… but BB will continue our Cape coverage with player profiles and a Recap piece with lots more video, pref lists and more reports from fellow BB authors Pete Wardell and Tyler Bullock besides myself. Thanks for reading and I hope you’ve enjoyed – AS

Tyler Horan, 1B, Wareham Gatemen (Virginia Tech) – Big time power even though he often collapses his back side and doesn’t use his hips and lower half well. Power to all fields in bp and lots of hard contact.

Daniel Palka, 1B, Wareham Gatemen (Georgia Tech) – Ball carries really well but has not improved pitch recognition and is very aggressive in hitter’s counts. No plan of attack on secondary pitches… but did get fooled on one CU where he sat back well and hit the ball hard despite breaking his bat. Primarily a fastball hitter but can handle premium velocity.

Ty Ross, C, Wareham Gatemen (LSU) – Not the best defender behind the plate and doesn’t move well but has improved since last summer. Can hit a little but too much a free swinger. Kept hands inside a drove a FB out oppo. Pop times gotten this year generally in the range of 2.06 to 2.15. Did get a 1.98 on warmup throwdown.

Alex Blandino, SS, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Stanford) – Still needs to improve footwork, actions & consistency at SS but athleticism and arm strength are there. Plays the game hard and goes full speed. Good concentration in the field and stays on balls well. Very good pop for a middle infielder.

Barrett Astin, RHP, Wareham Gatemen (Arkansas) – Righty throwing from a ¾ delivery. Appears slightly undersized (listed at 6’1”) but has a quick arm. 2 seam has some run and sink  at 87-90 (91). CU (79-83) is thrown with good arm speed and drops off well as a good tandem to the 2 seam. Shallow depth cut SL 85-87. Solid repertoire and feel for pitching but command so-so and stuff not electric.

Kendall Graveman, RHP, Cotuit Ketleers (Mississippi State) – Athletic righty with a high waist. FB 87-89 with late life. Solid CU 79-80. Needs to tighten up SL around 80 mph. Hides the ball well and pretty tough to pick up.

Andrew Bowen, RHP, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Oral Roberts)- Good size but lost release point frequently and lacked athleticism/ability to repeat delivery well. FB 88-90. CU 80-81 and cut SL in the same velo range, 79-80. Rushed his delivery even more with men on base… did not appear comfortable pitching from the stretch.

Chris Anderson, RHP, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Jacksonville) – Came in in relief and spotted his FB well, 89-92. SL 79-80 and a slower CB with more vertical life 74-77. CU around 80 as well.

Michael Lorenzen, OF, Brewster Whitecaps (Cal State Fullerton) – Premium athleticism and speed but feel for hitting, bat control and barrel awareness leave me skeptical how much the bat will play. Throws well and glove fits well in CF… just still need to do some wishcasting with the bat. Swing can get loopy and long. Not much different from when I saw him with Team USA last summer… might have added some physical strength – and still more needed.

Tom Windle, LHP, Brewster Whitecaps (Minnesota) - Still very exciting stuff from a LH but velo was down in the 86-88 range fairly often. Have to wonder if he’s tired. SL showed some tight bite. Still missed plenty of bats (7 Ks) without his best velo.

Michael Wagner, RHP, Chatham Anglers (San Diego) – Nice size and build… projectable frame. 91-93 present velo with the FB, featuring good life. SL the best secondary with tight spin (78-82). CU with some drop he had solid feel for (82-83). Also throws a slower CB. Command and control above average, though did go through a stretch where he was trying to pump his fastball up, leaked open early and lost his release point. Chewed guys up with his FB. Filled the zone and mixed his pitches well so hitters couldn’t get comfortable.

Evan Rutter, RHP, Brewster Whitecaps (Rice) – Missed bats with a tough 90-93 FB and 79-81 SL. Also mixes in a CU. Good command and location to both sides of the plate.

Robert Pehl, 2B, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Washington) – Bat has impressed me. Good bat speed, pop and fairly selective at the plate. Some swing and miss there but he has a plan. Still trying to figure out a defensive home here. I always get to games very early and Pehl was often working at 2B or even SS taking extra infield. He’s lined up taking his fungoes seriously during bp. I’m just not sure the actions are there for him to stay there as a pro. He’s not a good runner, either and I don’t know that he has the straight ahead speed to cover ground in an outfield corner. Its a question mark he’ll have to deal with next year, but he could still continue to hit enough to overcome those question marks. Wonder what he can/will do to transform his body, too. Definitely left a positive impression with scouts.

Aaron Blair, RHP, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Marshall) - Pleasantly surprised to see Blair get a couple innings out of the pen to stay fresh for the playoffs. Delivery smoother and more efficient than earlier in the year. Arm action cleaner. 91-94 FB. CB tighter spin and located well. Very good feel for CU. Blair was turning heads early on, and now he’s probably one of the most improved guys over the course of the Cape. Stock way up.

Jack Reinheimer, SS, Bourne Braves (East Carolina) – The more I see of him the more convinced I am that he has all the physical talents to stay at SS as a pro. Moves, footspeed, jumps, instincts, hands… well, hands are still an issue. As is concentration. Far too many errors, but hey – he’s an amateur and much like in the low minors the errors are to be expected. Often they’re a function of a shortstop getting to tough balls (and fumbling them) that less athletic shorstops don’t reach. Reinheimer has certainly flubbed his share of easy plays on the Cape, too, though. I’m still a big fan of the glove. He’ll hit a bit, too. Controls the strike zone pretty well and there might be some more gap pop down the line even.

Colin Moran, 3B, Bourne Braves (North Carolina) - Moran can really hit. Elite bat speed and has demonstrated an ability to hit all different pitches to different fields. Can get in an aggressive mindset at times and chase stuff but his hands are so good he gets away with it a lot. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I don’t mind the profile at 3B. I’d keep him there. He’s far from a premium defender at 3B… in particular the arm isn’t spectacular but I do think he can be a fringe average 3B at the Major League level. I also don’t see where else he fits well. He might very well hit enough for 1B, but man is the profile less exciting there. Its not like he’s a poor athlete or anything, either.

Ben Lively, RHP, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox (Central Florida) – 89-92 FB with some run. CU drops out, 78-79. Throws two breaking balls.. a slurvy SL in the high 70’s and a slower CB that moves 11-5 at 71-73 mph.

Jon Keller, RHP, Bourne Braves (Nebraska) – Big kid with a durable build. 90-93 FB can straighten out coming from a high ¾ delivery. Also kind of wild with the FB… and while he pitched with a good downward plane generally he did leave some mistake pitches up. 11-4 CB has good break at 82-83. CU 81-84. Easy to see him as a big, strong mid to back rotation type if he cleans up his secondaries and command. Others I talked to have seen him throw harder, as well.

Top 5 Pitchers Seen To Date

  1. Karsten Whitson, RHP, Orleans (Florida)
  2. Sean Manaea, LHP, Hyannis (Indiana State)
  3. Trevor Williams, RHP, Orleans (Arizona State)
  4. Dylan Covey, RHP, Orleans (San Diego)
  5. Aaron Blair, RHP, Yarmouth-Dennis (Marshall)

Top 5 Hitters Seen To Date

  1. Jared King, OF, Falmouth (Kansas State)
  2. Colin Moran, 3B, Bourne Braves (North Carolina)
  3. Austin Wilson, OF, Harwich (Stanford)
  4. JaCoby Jones, INF/OF, Harwich (LSU)
  5. Phil Ervin, OF, Harwich (Samford)
Al Skorupa
Albert Skorupa
About Albert Skorupa

Al Skorupa writes about baseball & baseball prospects for Bullpen Banter and Fangraphs/Rotographs. He lives in Rhode Island. He watches & videotapes a good amount of amateur and minor league baseball. You can follow him on twitter @alskor.

Articles, Cape Cod League Observations

One Comment on "Cape Cod League Observations: Week 8"