Widgets Magazine

Robinson Cano And Sending A Message

When news broke this morning that the Seattle Mariners and Robinson Cano had agreed to a ten-year, $240 million deal, it wasn’t just the team signing a big free agent. The Mariners have sent a message to the rest of the league: we’re tired of losing, and we’re going to do what it takes to
Articles,Features,Home

Quick Hits: Jonathan Gray, Modesto Nuts

Quick Hits: Jonathan Gray, Modesto Nuts
Jonathan Gray Notes: *Body to eat innings, seems to have less effort in delivery compared to college. *Looked more like a pitcher than he did in college. Dialed back on the fastball, but was able to reach back for the big velo (topped at 99). *Established the fastball early. *Moved fastball all over the zone,
Articles,Features,Home,Quick Hits,Scouting

The First Choice: Who’s Your Pick?

The First Choice: Who’s Your Pick?
There is still significant discussion over who is the preferred selection for the first overall pick in the upcoming draft by the Houston Astros. The Astros will be a wild card up until the last second, and will likely pick between Jonathan Gray, Mark Appel, Kris Bryant, Colin Moran, and Austin Meadows in the top
Articles,Features,Home,Prospect Video,Round Table,Scouting

2013 MLB Draft Notes, Pitchers from the National High School Invitational

2013 MLB Draft Notes, Pitchers from the National High School Invitational
I covered days two and three of the National High School Invitational, which hosts some of the best high school teams across the country at Cary North Carolina Team USA facility. In terms of the spring high school scene, this is turning into a one of the bigger events where you can catch a handful of talent. Stephen Gonsalves
Articles,Home,Scouting

Quick Hits: Thinkin About Dominic Smith

Quick Hits:  Thinkin About Dominic Smith
*Today, Steve Carter and myself offer up a double dose of quick hits giving our impressions of Serra High School’s Dominic Smith. Steve Carter: *Loud actions, hits off a rhythm and an unstable base. *Good hand speed and change of direction, and hands enter the zone quickly. *Kill zone is middle-in and elevated, can spin
Articles,Features,Home,Prospect Video,Quick Hits,Scouting

Quick Hits: You Don’t Know Jack. . . Flaherty

Quick Hits:  You Don’t Know Jack. . . Flaherty
First I’ll thank Chris for coming up with the “Quick Hits” and actually running with the idea. I’ve discussed doing something like this in the past because I’ve shifted my focus towards the video side, and I don’t want to take over the front page with just video posts. This will make it easier to
Features,Home,Quick Hits,Scouting

2013 Third Base Rankings

2013 Third Base Rankings
This kicks off Bullpen Banter’s 2013 Fantasy Rankings. Throughout the coming weeks we will deliver you rankings for 3B, SS, 2B, 1B, OF, SP, and RP. Stay tuned for more fantasy coverage. The hot corner is once again a hot spring for upper echelon fantasy talent. While there are aging — and often injured —
2013 Fantasy Rankings,Fantasy,Features,Home,Rankings

Early Draft Prep: The High School 3B of the 2013 Draft Class

Early Draft Prep: The High School 3B of the 2013 Draft Class
Travis Demeritte Winder-Barrow HS, Statham GA Committed to South Carolina Wide and square frame, long limbs for size and plays longer than listed size. Athletic build, solid foundation and fair development at this point, and a good deal of projection left, as he can fill out in the hips and upper back. He looks the
Articles,Deep Keepers,Features,Home,Prospect Video,Scouting,Video Index