Widgets Magazine

2013 All-Cape Team: Pitchers

I am going to include the same disclaimer as my previous list. This is not a stats based list, nor is there any method to my madness. This is simply a list of my favorite pitchers in alphabetical order. I included links to articles I have previously written on the pitchers, and I will write
Articles,Cape Cod League Observations,College Notes Index,Features,Prospect Video,Rankings,Scouting

Quick Hits: Jonathan Gray, Modesto Nuts

Quick Hits: Jonathan Gray, Modesto Nuts
Jonathan Gray Notes: *Body to eat innings, seems to have less effort in delivery compared to college. *Looked more like a pitcher than he did in college. Dialed back on the fastball, but was able to reach back for the big velo (topped at 99). *Established the fastball early. *Moved fastball all over the zone,
Articles,Features,Home,Quick Hits,Scouting

Prospect Parade: A Pleasant Surprise

Prospect Parade: A Pleasant Surprise
Sometimes, surprise is a good thing. When heading to Everett last month, I came in to that night’s Ryan Warner start with zero expectations. I knew he’d been a high-round pick, but there’d been very little buzz about him since the buildup to the 2012 draft. What I came away with was a very pleasant
Articles,Features,Prospect Parade,Prospect Video,Scouting

Kyle Freeland – Cutting Through Hitters

Kyle Freeland – Cutting Through Hitters
Kyle Freeland is a 6-4/175 left-handed pitcher from Denver, CO. He pitches for the University of Evansville Purple Aces in the Missouri Valley Conference. He pitches for the Hyannis Harborhawks in the Cape Cod Baseball League, where I have seen him pitch on three occasions (7/27, 7/29, 8/6). He caught my attention at the 2013
2013 Draft,Articles,Prospect Video,Scouting

Profiling Cubs Signing Jen-Ho Tseng

Profiling Cubs Signing Jen-Ho Tseng
Two weeks ago, the Cubs signed Jen-Ho Tseng from Taiwan. Tseng was rated highly by many outlets, and the Cubs gave him a bonus $1.625 million. With that added to the cost of their other signings, the Cubs are likely to face stiff penalties for next season under MLB’s new international signing rules; with that
Articles,Scouting

Prospect Parade: Dutch Delight

While Europe is not known for it’s production of baseball players, there has definitely been a slow improvement in the talent pipeline in recent years. An improvement in youth development has been taking place in recent years has been taking place, most notably in the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, and in stretches of central and eastern
Articles,Prospect Parade,Prospect Video,Scouting

Scouting Notes: Chris Owings and Matt Davidson

Scouting Notes: Chris Owings and Matt Davidson
As the 2013 trade deadline quickly approaches, the Arizona Diamondbacks are sure to be buyers. Heading into July 26th, Arizona sat a half game back of the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League West and five and a half games back for the Wild Card. Two of the biggest trade pieces for the Diamondbacks
Articles,Prospect Video,Scouting

Jesse Biddle – Future Phillie Fan Favorite

Jesse Biddle – Future Phillie Fan Favorite
Jesse Biddle is a 6’5″, 235 pound left-handed starter in the Philadelphia Phillies organization. He was the 27th overall pick in 2010. The Philadelphia native is 22 years old and is already pitching in the Eastern League (AA). I have seen him on 5/4/13 at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester, NH and on 7/18/13
Articles,Prospect Video,Scouting