Widgets Magazine

Chicago Cubs Top 10 Prospects for 2014

Written By on 8th November, 2013

Baez Cubs 14

The Cubs Farm System is rising like a rocket. Shrewd trades and solid drafts by Epstein, Hoyer, McLeod & company have quickly built thefoundation for future success. -AS

Chicago Cubs Top 10 Prospects for 2014

#
PLAYER
POS
COMMENT
1Javier BaezSS/3BArmed with Gary Sheffield like bat speed and power, Baez, a top five prospect in all of baseball, is a better defender than most in the media will give him credit for and shouldn't be a detriment to his team at short. -CB VIDEO
2Albert AlmoraOFAn instinctual player with good-but-not-great tools, Almora has a chance to be an All-Star. He has a well rounded game and great feel. -AS
3Jorge SolerOFSoler projects as a prototypical right-fielder... with many of the problems you find in right field prospects. The power will play at any level. -AS
4Kris Bryant3B/1BHas some issues with his trigger and hands that could leave him vulnerable as he advances, but there's so much to like here. Not a bad glove at the hot corner, either. - CD VIDEO
5C.J. EdwardsRHPSmallish fireballer is a high ceiling arm. Yet many project for relief because of his size, command and lack of a third pitch. -AS
6Mike Olt3BLong one of my favorites; power for days and a fair eye at the plate. Plenty of swing and miss, but not enough to really hurt him. Not great anywhere defensively, but has corner utility. - CD VIDEO
7Arismendy AlcantaraSS/2BA switch hitting middle infielder who generates considerable pop from his smallish frame, Alacantara's Cubs future is likely at second, where he'll projects to become an above average defender with good range. -CB VIDEO
8Pierce JohnsonRHPThe power armed right hander fell out of the first round in 2012 because of some concern about his delivery - so far, so good. The two power pitches - low to mid 90s fastball and firm, tight spinning curve - allowed him to succeed in the SAL & FSL. The change is used more sparingly but can be an average pitch. -JR
9Christian Villanueva3BOne of the best defensive infielders in baseball, this 22-year-old slugger possessing opposite field thunder in his bat should find his niche in the big leagues as a second division starter at third. -CB VIDEO
10Dan Vogelbach1B/DHThis XXL 1B/DH won't provide any value with his glove even at first base, but he projects to hit in the big leagues - for both power and AVG. -AS

Other Cubs Prospects of Note

PLAYER
POS
COMMENT
Paul BlackburnRHPBlackburn is a prototypical prep 1st rounder with more finesse to his game than projection. -AS
Arodys VizcainoRHPScary injury concerns, but could emerge as an impact relief arm. -AS
Kyuji FujikawaRHPFujikawa showed some flashes of what he can do in MLB, but was inconsistent and underwent Tommy John surgery in June. -AS

Chicago Cubs Notable 2013 Draft Picks

ROUND
PICK
PLAYER
POS
SCHOOL
12Kris Bryant3B/1BSan Diego
241Rob ZastryznyLHPMissouri
375Jacob HannemannOFBrigham Young
4108Tyler SkulinaRHPKent State
5138Trey MasekRHPTexas Tech
6168Scott FrazierRHPPepperdine
7198David GarnerRHPMichigan State
15438Michael WagnerRHPSan Diego

Draft Recap: The Cubs delved deeply into the college ranks this year and they may not have to wait all that long for some of this talent to help. Bryant was the best bat in the draft and a safe but strong pick at 2nd overall. A lot of quality college arms who were  BB staff favorites fell right into their laps. The Cubs had a strong second day and came away with a deep, quality pool of draftees to add to their system. -AS

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

Articles, Features, Prospect Video, Team Prospect Rankings

8 Comments on "Chicago Cubs Top 10 Prospects for 2014"

  1. Profile Photo
    Monkeyepoxy November 13, 2013 at 1:32 am -

    You guys gonna do roundtable chat things this year too? Man I hope so – those were the best part. Also, I admire the balls at having Kris Bryant 4th, even if I disagree.

    • Profile Photo
      Jeff Reese November 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm -

      Roundtables should still be a part of our coverage. We like the format, it can just take a lot of coordination/time to get right. Al & I decided to expand the number of contributors to the team lists this year, and this is the resulting format we adopted (Al’s creation).

      Baez and Almora were clear cut 1 & 2, but Bryant and Soler were very close when we averaged them out, essentially 3A & 3B.

      • Profile Photo
        Monkeyepoxy November 17, 2013 at 3:07 am -

        Awesome.

        ALSO, I’m (so I’m gonna assume some other people do too) having some trouble viewing comments. Like this cubs article says there’s 4 comments, and I just see 3 (prior to this post) and the Indians list says there’s a comment, but it’s not showing up.

        • Profile Photo
          Jeff Reese November 22, 2013 at 9:17 am -

          We have it set up so pingback “comments” aren’t shown.

  2. Profile Photo
    BobbyS November 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm -

    What about Jeimer Candelario? Seems like a good fit for the ‘others’ section at least, no?
    I do like seeing Soler up ther above Bryant.. at least for now. 3A/3B seems fair.

    • Profile Photo
      Jeff Reese November 22, 2013 at 9:21 am -

      He could have certainly made the others section; he was within the top 15 on our averaged list. We’re using that section to highlight guys that we’ve seen or particularly want to highlight (rather than those who are directly next in line).