Widgets Magazine

Jake Marisnick #73 – 2013 Top 100

Written By on 11th March, 2013

#73 Jake Marisnick (Outfielder[R/R])

Miami Marlins

Age PA H 2B HR BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG wOBA
21 633 144 32 9 40 120 29 .258 .328 .406 .336

Date of Birth: March 30th, 1991(age 22)
Origin: 3rd Round Pick(#104 overall) in 2009 out of Riverside Poly HS(CA)
Height: 6’4″
Weight: 200

JD Sussman:  Jake Marisnick was shipped to the Marlins with several other Jays in the latest South Florida fire sale. He possesses impressive tools making him the perfect high upside player Miami should gamble on.   He has a monster 6’4″, 200 pound frame capable of producing plus power and he’s capable of playing above average defense too. But, 2012 was a setback for the former 3rd round pick as his long swing was exposed by High-A and Double-A pitching.

Al Skorupa: Yeah, it really was a disappointing year for Marisnick, but the tools are still enticing. His swing got longer this year, yes. The pitch recognition and barrel awareness skills still have a ways to go, too. The good news is that the tools and athleticism are all here for Marisnick to make the adjustments he needs to make. I do think the tools were a bit overstated in the past; I didn’t see Marisnick as a plus runner, and I think he ultimately fits best in a corner.

Chris Blessing: Watching Marisnick in limited action this spring, I believe, defensively, he can stick in center.  Don’t be fooled by some of the spectacular plays he’s pulled off this spring, he possesses fairly average range.  As Al pointed out, his pitch recognition skills are a bit rough around the edges.  I fear his swing will always have a great deal of length to it, which will produce a good amount of strikeouts in the majors.  I just don’t know what kind of hitter he’s going to be.  The power hitting tendencies are there in his swing but his numbers haven’t come close to making that a reality.  I think there is a huge bust factor on this tremendously gifted player.

Fantasy Outlook by JD Sussman
If Marisnick reaches his ceiling, he’s a must own in all formats. He coul be a four category stud who doesn’t hurt your team’s batting average significantly. But, power may be difficult to come by in Miami and there are concerns Marisnick never hits for a high average. I foresee him as a potential 20/20 guy with .250 batting average with room to beat his power projection if can make more contact.

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

2013 Top 100 Prospects

3 Comments on "Jake Marisnick #73 – 2013 Top 100"