Widgets Magazine

Jedd Gyorko #77 – 2013 Top 100

Written By on 8th March, 2013

#77 Jedd Gyorko (Third Baseman[R/R])

San Diego Padres

Age PA H 2B HR BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG wOBA
23 557 154 28 30 51 95 5 .309 .372 .545 .395

Date of Birth: September 23, 1988(age 24)
Origin: 2nd round pick(#59 overall) in 2010 out of West Virginia University
Height: 5’10″
Weight: 195

Steve Fiorindo: It appears that my opinion of Jedd Gyorko is similar to that of the ‘powers that be’ for the San Diego Padres. I saw Gyorko play third base at Lake Elsinore and felt that the concerns over his body and athleticism were overblown. Watching him, I even thought he’d be able to adequately handle second base. You don’t have to be a great athlete to be a successful baseball player; it helps, but there are other things that can help lead a player to having a successful career.

At the plate I liked how well Gyorko worked the count. His mature approach is what you would expect out of a quality collegiate hitter.

Conor Dowley: Steve is dead-on about Gyorko’s athleticism. He’s thick, sure, but he moves fine, and his instincts in the field serve him well. He positions himself very well pre-swing, and avoids doing things to get himself into trouble. He handles second base just fine, and, while he’s probably never going to be a premium glove either there or at third base, his defense won’t hurt his overall value to his team.

At the plate, Gyorko doesn’t have the best bat speed, but he has good hand actions that let him get the barrel on just about anything and the strength to do a lot of damage when he does barrel it up. While I don’t think his major-league power will reach the statistical heights of his minor league numbers (he’s played in some VERY hitter-friendly parks in his career), he should be able to provide at least average power once he gets established.

JD Sussman: I spoke to one scout who called his body “dumpy.” But I agree with Conor and Steve’s assertions that it isn’t a significant issue. Teams tend to hide poor defenders at second base, and it speaks volumes about the position. I, too, love his swing. He gets his hands moving forward and brings them in early, keeping his bat level and in the hitting zone for a long time. A good hit tool will allow one’s power to play up, but I don’t see enough leverage in his swing to produce above-average power.

Fantasy Outlook by David Wiers
For those of you in NL-only, or especially mixed leagues, Gyorko makes for an ideal sleeper candidate. He is currently blocked at his natural position of second base by Logan Forsythe, but given the way that Gyorko has performed in the (admittedly hitter friendly) Pacific Coast League, it is hard to imagine Forsythe being much of a roadblock for Gyorko. With 20 home run power potential as well as a solid walk rate (7.8% BB% represents his low water mark in the minors) and a reasonable batting average, Gyorko is nearly major league ready right now. With little left to prove in the minors, I expect Gyorko to either break camp as the Padres’ utility infielder or possibly even as their starting second baseman this year (and going forward). He is a talent on offense and has what it takes to stick at second base, at least for a few seasons. He would make for a bit of a light starting second baseman on your roster, but, as your MI, he would warrant no complaints from me.

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

2013 Top 100 Prospects

One Comment on "Jedd Gyorko #77 – 2013 Top 100"