Widgets Magazine

2010 Top 10 Second Basemen

  Editors note 1- We set out to rank the top 10 prospects in the minors at each position.  We eliminated anyone with MLB experience to alleviate any eligibility issues (as of 8/28).  We each ranked our top 10 at each position and then averaged the rankings to produce the list below. Editors note 2-
2010 Top Prospects by Position

2010 Top 10 First Basemen

  Editors note-Josh, Al, Doron, Jeff and I set out to rank the top 10 prospects in the minors at each position.  We eliminated anyone with MLB experience to alleviate any eligibility issues (as of 8/28).  We each ranked our top 10 at each position and then averaged the rankings to produce the list below.-Michael
2010 Top Prospects by Position

2010 Top 10 Catchers

Will "the Thrill" Myers Photo by Randy Meinholdt of Royals Prospects.com   Editors note-Josh, Al, Doron, Jeff and I set out to rank the top 10 prospects in the minors at each position.  We eliminated anyone with MLB experience to alleviate any eligibility issues.  We each ranked our top 10 at each position and then
2010 Top Prospects by Position

A Brief Glimpse at Several SAL Prospects (Lakewood & West Virginia)

Last weekend (August 7th & 8th) I made the three and a half hour trip from Pittsburgh to Charleston to see a pair of games between the Lakewood Blue Claws and West Virginia Power. I am slightly ashamed to admit that it was my first minor league baseball experience. I just never had the motivation
Articles

Introducing Out Probability Added pt.1

Update: Italics below indicate a change for the sake of clarity. Win Probabily Added (WPA) is described as "the difference in Win Probability (or Win Expectancy) between two game states (inning, score, base, out) as a result of a specific play" during a specific game. WPA was championed by Tom Tango and he describes it
Articles

Fantasy Friday Jan. 7th 2011

  Fantasy Sleeper Prospects: AL East NEW YORK YANKEES Albert Skorupa: OF Melky Mesa was added to the 40 man roster in November. This year in the Florida State League, which is extremely pitcher friendly, Mesa hit .260/.338/.475 with 19 HRs and 31 SBs. He’s rather toolsy, as Mike Newman discussed here. Mesa has a
Articles

Trade Deadline Round Table

Editor: First, I'd like to announce the newest addition to Bullpen Banter, Jeff Reese. This is his first piece with the team and he'll be contributing on a regular basis. Today we've discussed several transactions from the deadline, enjoy! Also, you can't see him prior to it, but Doron joins us after the jump. Yankees
Articles

Statistical Head Scratchers: The Sacrifice Fly

If you'd like to read a very well written, researched, and overall interesting piece on the history of the sacrifice fly you'll find none better than the one written by Jonathan Schwartz over at SABR. While the "sac-fly" has a neat history, if you like to use the word neat to describe baseball statistics, it
Articles