Widgets Magazine

Quick Hits 1/18/2013

Written By on 18th January, 2013

Welcome to Bullpen Banter’s Quick Hits series. Well, it’s not exactly a series yet. Over the next few weeks, I will be testing this new tool out. It’s a way for us to get content to our readers that wouldn’t normally be covered in an article. I’m hoping we have a little bit of everything, like brief scouting reports, injury updates, scout thoughts, fantasy hunches, news, transactions and other stuff that is escaping my mind right now. For instance, if one of us saw an injury occur, we could talk about it here. I hope this turns into a segment that can be produced a few times a week, as a joint effort by the writers of Bullpen Banter.

Former University of Georgia baseball Signee Kyle Carter enrolls in Junior College

I have confirmed with a source that 2006 Little League World Series champion & former University of Georgia signee Kyle Carter has enrolled at Miami Dade Community College. Kyle first made mention of his enrollment on twitter. Kyle, who was enrolled at Georgia during the fall semester, left the Athens program to avoid a twenty game suspension stemming from two separate arrests. His father Richard, in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, said “”Kyle said that he didn’t go to the University of Georgia to ride the bench, so, he’s decided to transfer to a junior college.” While his father left the door open for a possible return to Georgia, my gut thinks that’s unlikely.

I scouted Kyle during the first game of the 2012 Class AAA Championship series. Kyle, who graduated from Columbus High School that spring, pitched a fine game defeating Ringgold to go up 1-0 in the best of three series, a series that Columbus would sweep. Kyle’s talents on the field, both on the mound and at the plate, were evident. On the mound, the left hander featured a nasty 2 seamer that was better than most lefties I’ve seen toiling around the Appy and Sally Leagues. A radar gun behind home plate clocked his fastball between 87-90, hitting 92 a few times as well. While the talent certainly shines, his attitude was less than stellar. On the mound, he was more concerned with showing up the opposition than winning the game, even to the point of gesturing towards the parents of the Ringgold team after the final out was recorded. This prompted a fist fight between a parent on the Ringgold team and a parent on the Columbus team before Columbus was finished celebrating the win on the field. This was the first time I’ve ever been asked by police to see my camera, which didn’t capture any of the ruckus.

Here is some video of Kyle’s awesome performance on a miserably hot day in late May.

Dodgers prospect Chris Withrow struggles in Double A

Former first round draft pick Chris Withrow has spent parts of the last four seasons as a member of the Chattanooga Lookouts, the AA affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Struggling with injuries and poor command, Withrow became a full time reliever during the second half of the 2012 season He pitched well as reliever until he went down with another injury in mid-August. In relief, Withrow was featuring a fastball in the high 90s and a hard slider, which I clocked in the 88-90 range, even touching 91. Withrow has all but abandoned his curveball.

This move to the pen was a long time coming. Withrow, a native of Austin, Texas, struggled with stamina in the humid summer heat. Withrow would start the game throwing in the mid to upper 90s but, as early as the third, his velocity would drop by four or five miles per hour. He would also begin to labor as well, pacing himself between every pitch. Considering he grew up in Texas and looks to be in good shape, it surprised me that his body couldn’t handle the heat.

Here is video of Withrow piggybacking a Nathan Eovaldi start early in the 2012 season.

What they’re saying……

Usually, this segment is a chance for us to share any information we may have obtained from our sources. You know, information from scouts, ushers, baby mamas and what not. Today, I feature something nice said about out last Friday afternoon.

“(Keith) Law is excellent at what he does. Jason Parks may have a unique personality, but he takes the craft more seriously than some give him credit for. I also think the guys over at Bullpen Banter do an excellent job for an upstart outfit. They had 2 writers hired away by MLB teams. That speaks volumes.” – FanGraphs Mike Newman, during his 1/11/13 prospect chat, regarding the prospect writers/blogs he respects the most.

What we’re saying……

- Congratulations are in order for former Bullpen Banter writers Peter Wardell and Mitch Colahan. In December, Peter, on Twitter, announced that he accepted a baseball operations internship with the Arizona Diamondbacks organization. Also, in December, Mitch informed us behind the scenes at Bullpen Banter that he accepted a position with a MLB franchise. I would like to publicly wish both Peter and Mitch good luck in their new positions.

- As we wind down prospect list season here at Bullpen Banter, I want to take a moment to give Al Skorupa & Jeff Reese some props for the fine job they have done so far compiling and analysing our organizational prospect rankings. While other staff members have contributed, from time to time, on the project, Al and Jeff are the true workhorses.

- I’d like to give Jim Andrews (@bedge7767 on Twitter) for giving me a heads up about Kyle Carter’s twitter status that was referencing Miami Dade CC. Thank you very much.

Chris Blessing
Chris Blessing
About Chris Blessing

Chris has been writing about baseball prospects for 3 years now, getting his start writing Journal entries at Metsgeek and providing content at Mike Newman's Scouting the Sally. Chris resides in Dalton, GA and is Bullpen Banter's main correspondent for the Appalachian, South Atlantic and Southern League. In his free time, Chris plays softball, travels a bunch and acts in community theater.

Articles, Features

Comments are closed.