Widgets Magazine

Trevor Story #51 – 2013 Top 100

Written By on 15th March, 2013

#51 Trevor Story (Shortstop[R/R])

Colorado Rockies

Age PA H 2B HR BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG wOBA
19 548 129 43 18 60 121 15 .270 .361 .499 .388

Date of Birth: November 15th, 1992(age 20)
Origin: 1st Round Pick(#45 overall) in 2011 out of Irving HS(TX)
Height: 6’1″
Weight: 185

Steve Fiorindo: Story is probably the best position prospect I expect to see this year when he makes his debut in the Cal League.  He’s coming off a very good season in the Sally, and I know Mike Newman has spoken highly of him in the past.  He can handle short defensively, which means  he’ll stay at short but probably spend time at second base as well so he can slide over and defer to the top shortstop in the game (when healthy).  Of course, when he is ready for the show, he will probably have to fill in for Tulo a bit as Tulo tends to miss a game or two per season.

The one video I kept going back to get a look at Story was Mike’s, and it looks like the BP pitcher had about 20 grade command that day as Story was practically picking balls out of the dirt and trying to lace the through the right side (he also showed a pretty solid eye, even in BP).  The grooved swing looks good though, and I expect him to put up some big numbers in the Cal League with all the friendly hitting environments found there.  He doesn’t look like a masher to me, but I do see a kid with a sold all around game.

Michael Schwartze: Story put together a solid year last year at Asheville in the Sally League, and he continues climbing up prospects lists. Steve mentions this above, but while Story may not have any tools that really stand out, he has a solid all round game. He has an impressive approach at the plate for his age with a good hit tool and solid raw power.

I think he’s a guy that could hit around .275 with 15-20 homeruns down the line, with the added benefit of a lot of doubles. Like Steve said, Story will most likely be blocked at shortstop when he’s ready, if he’s still with the Rockies’ organization by then, but he could easily debut as a second baseman or a third baseman until shortstop is open in Colorado without missing a beat.

JD Sussman: There are a lot of shortstops ranked higher than Story on this list who have loud tools, but keep in mind how highly the league has valued shortstops of late. Story has the actions to play shortstop, but as Steve and Mike said, he’s likely a second baseman due the presence of Troy Tulowitzki. Honestly, when I watch Story I don’t see a lot of upside, but with a handful of average tools and the ability to stick up the middle. I’ll see him again during Spring Training and will be curious to see where the Rockies are working with him.

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

2013 Top 100 Prospects

2 Comments on "Trevor Story #51 – 2013 Top 100"