Widgets Magazine

2013 All-Cape Team: Pitchers

Written By on 10th September, 2013

I am going to include the same disclaimer as my previous list. This is not a stats based list, nor is there any method to my madness. This is simply a list of my favorite pitchers in alphabetical order. I included links to articles I have previously written on the pitchers, and I will write up a few more in the near future.

Chris Ellis 6-5/195, Cotuit Kettleers 37.2 IP, 23 K, 2.39 ERA: FB 87-94 CB 79-81 CH 82-84
He flashed 1st round stuff throughout the summer. His power curve looks borderline unhittable at times, and the change has a lot of late life. His frame can still fill out, and the FB velocity is only going to increase and become more consistent.

Eric Fedde 6-4/175, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox 30.2 IP, 26 K, 2.35 ERA: FB 91-96 SL 78-80 CH 83-84
Slim, projectable frame with 2 plus pitches. The third is a work in progress and will determine whether or not he hears his name called in the first round. Article

Kyle Freeland 6-4/185, Hyannis Harborhawks 40 IP, 48 K, 2.25 ERA: FB 90-93 CB 78-81 SL 82-85 CH 82
His fastball has plus action and he walked 4 batters this entire CCBL season. The slider has the potential to turn into an MLB out-pitch, and he will improve in replicating his arm slot and arm action due to his athleticism. I think his ceiling is as high as any pitcher in the CCBL.Article

Jeff Hoffman 6-4/183, Hyannis Harborhawks 24.1 IP, 33K, 3.70 ERA: FB 93-97 CB 78-82 CH 86-89
Hoffman has put himself in the discussion of top 5 picks for next year’s draft. His FB is thrown with downward plane and flashes late bore. His CB is tight with depth in the zone and late break. His CH is firm but has run. Other than one outing, he dominated CCBL line-ups. Article

Ryan Kellogg 6-5/225, Bourne Braves 33 IP, 26 K, 1.36 ERA: FB 85-90 CB 68-71 SL 74-76 CH 76-78
Kellogg possesses the command and control to work his way into the front of a rotation, and that is why he made my list. The CH is an excellent pitch and could become an MLB out-pitch. The other secondaries need cleaning up, and the FB velo needs to increase. For a cold weather arm that is still very young, he has a lot of positives to build on.

Jared Miller 6-6/235, Orleans Firebirds 31.1 IP, 24 K, 2.29 ERA: FB 85-91 SL 77-79 CH 82
The slider misses tons of bats and he floods the zone with all his pitches. He works 88-89 but turns up the velo when it matters. With his body and deceptive mechanics, he has a bright future on the hill.

Sean Newcomb 6-5/240, Wareham Gatemen 22.1 IP, 28 K, 4.43 ERA: FB 88-94 CB 69 SL 76-79 CH 81-83
Spent most of the summer recovering from illness, and this led to some inconsistency (high ERA). Newcomb is a big lefty that uses little effort to throw in the mid-90s, with a lot of late dive. Most importantly, he improved every time I saw him pitch.

Chandler Shepherd 6-2/185, Harwich Mariners 35.2 IP, 28 K, 2.77 ERA: FB 87-92 CB 76-80 CH 83-88
A personal favorite of mine. I heard grumblings of: “he doesn’t miss many bats” and “he lacks deception” but, in my opinion, he has a lot of Mike Mussina in him. The spiked curve is just the beginning, he works ahead with a very athletic delivery, and is competitive on the mound. I think he has room to add weight, and he will impress a lot of scouts in the spring.

Relievers:

Sam Coonrod 6-2/190, Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox 16.2 IP, 14 K, 4.86 ERA: FB 92-96 CB 75-81 SL 84-87 CH 81-84
Strong build and a power arm. He didn’t possess a lot of control, but the raw stuff is excellent. I think he is a work in progress, but will develop into a stud with professional seasoning.

Kyle Funkhouser 6-3/205, Chatham Anglers 13 IP, 21 K, 4.15 ERA: FB 91-95 CB 79-81 SL 82-83 CH 86-87
He has “wow” stuff, and the 1.6 K/9 should speak for itself. Kyle can attack hitters anyway he wants. With his four pitch mix, I am shocked that he wasn’t in a starting rotation this summer. Louisville should give him a chance to work into games, and see how he develops. I think he is strong enough and has the raw stuff to succeed as a starter.

Chris Oliver 6-4/180, Harwich Mariners 14 IP, 16 K, 2.57 ERA: FB 88-96 SL 84-88
I caught a lot of Harwich games, which was good enough for me to watch Oliver on multiple occasions. The stuff is excellent. He generates downward plane, and the slider is very tight. The arm action and finish to his delivery aren’t ideal, but it should not be a detriment in his relief role.

Dillon Peters 5-10/190, Harwich Mariners 22 IP, 21 K, 1.22 ERA: FB 89-92 SL 76-77
Most of the other members of my All-Cape pitching staff are well above six feet tall. Peters doesn’t possess the same type of height, but he makes up for that based on his heart and competitive drive. He would be successful on his intensity alone. When you add that to a plus FB and a swing and miss slider, you have the makings of a pitcher that can get outs in any situation.

Chad Sobotka 6-7/200, Chatham Anglers 24 IP, 24 K, 2.25 ERA: FB 89-94 CB 76-78 SL 81-87 CH 83-86
I became enamored with Sobotka the first time I same him mowing guys down at Y-D. His over the top arm angle generates tons of downward plane, and he spins the ball really well. With room to add weight, his stuff will get even better.

Matt Troupe 6-1/190, Orleans Firebirds 20 IP, 32 K, 1.35 ERA: FB 87-92 CB 73-75
As far as dominant relievers and pitchers who strikeout that many hitters, Troupe does not possess the same off-the-charts stuff. However, Troupe has a 9th-inning mentality/make-up and keeps his fastball between the lower thigh and mid-shins, consistently. When he incorporates his plus CB into the mix, that is the moment he becomes the “Trouper.”

@ETylerBullBant
E. Tyler Bullock
About E. Tyler Bullock

Tyler Bullock covers Cape Cod League, Eastern League, New England College, New England Prep, and New York-Penn League for Bullpen Banter. He wrote the Bourne Braves blog: A View From the Stands. He currently resides in Swansea, MA and attends Bridgewater State University. Tyler can be reached on twitter: @ETylerBullBant and via e-mail: etbullock@bullpenbanter.com

Articles, Cape Cod League Observations, College Notes Index, Features, Prospect Video, Rankings, Scouting

11 Comments on "2013 All-Cape Team: Pitchers"