Widgets Magazine

Individual Top 100 Prospect Lists: JD Sussman

Written By on 3rd April, 2013

With the conclusion of our annual Top 100 Prospect Series, several of our writers decided to release their personal rankings that went in to the creation of the site’s final list. With these, you get to see how our individual writers rate specific prospects differently from one another, and get to see their thoughts and some of their decision-making process. Today, we bring you the list of JD Sussman.

Over the last few months, I’ve spilled enough ink about these prospects at Bullpen Banter or FanGraphs, so I won’t repeat myself here.  Of course, I’ll answer any questions posted in the comment section.

These rankings are based on my preferences. To start the process eight simple buckets are created, four for hitters and four for pitchers. Each prospect is placed into one bucket: High Upside/Close to the Majors; High Upside/Far; Low Upside/Close; or Low Upside/Far. Once pitchers and hitters are separated, they are reorganized within each bucket against their peers. Then, equivalent pitcher and hitter buckets are compared and sorted. Finally, a rough list is awaits to be polished.

This list has a preference for upside, proximity to major league playing time, positional scarcity and the probability of creating value.

  1. Jurickson Profar 2B, TEX
  2. Wil Myers OF, TB
  3. Oscar Taveras OF, STL
  4. Dylan Bundy RHP, BAL
  5. Zack Wheeler RHP, NYM
  6. Mike Zunino C, SEA
  7. Travis d’Arnaud C, NYM
  8. Francisco Lindor SS CLE
  9. Taijuan Walker RHP SEA
  10. Gerrit Cole RHP PIT
  11. Anthony Rendon 3B WAS
  12. Christian Yelich LF MIA
  13. Kevin Gausman RHP BAL
  14. Xander Bogaerts SS BOS
  15. Shelby Miller RHP STL
  16. Jameson Taillon RHP PIT
  17. Addison Russell SS OAK
  18. Danny Hultzen LHP SEA
  19. Jose Fernandez RHP MIA
  20. Javier Baez SS CHC
  21. Jorge Soler OF CHC
  22. Carlos Correa SS HOU
  23. Byron Buxton OF MIN
  24. Nick Castellanos 3B DET
  25. Jackie Bradley OF BOS
  26. Carlos Martinez RHP STL
  27. Albert Almora OF CHC
  28. Kyle Zimmer RHP KCR
  29. Miguel Sano 3B MIN
  30. Trevor Story SS COL
  31. Tyler Skaggs LHP ARI
  32. Matt Barnes RHP BOS
  33. David Dahl OF COL
  34. Noah Syndergaard RHP NYM
  35. Robert Stephenson RHP CIN
  36. Archie Bradley RHP ARI
  37. Max Fried LHP SDP
  38. Aaron Sanchez RHP TOR
  39. Taylor Guerrieri RHP TBR
  40. Jonathan Singelton 1B HOU
  41. Gary Sanchez C NYY
  42. Oswaldo Arcia OF MIN
  43. Trevor Rosenthal RHP STL
  44. Joe Ross RHP SDP
  45. Mike Olt 3B TEX
  46. Lucas Giolito RHP WAS
  47. Austin Hedges C SDP
  48. Chris Archer RHP TBR
  49. Trevor Bauer RHP CLE
  50. Billy Hamilton OF CIN
  51. James Paxton LHP SEA
  52. Mason Williams OF NYY
  53. Alen Hanson SS PIT
  54. Casey Kelly RHP SDP
  55. Michael Wacha RHP STL
  56. Courtney Hawkins OF CHW
  57. Kyle Crick RHP SFG
  58. Yordano Ventura RHP KCR
  59. Kaleb Cowart 3B LAA
  60. Nolan Arenado 3B COL
  61. Jedd Gyorko 3B SDP
  62. Justin Nicolino LHP MIA
  63. Julio Teheran RHP ATL
  64. Gregory Polanco OF PIT
  65. George Springer OF HOU
  66. Victor Sanchez RHP SEA
  67. Roberto Osuna RHP TOR
  68. Delino DeShields Jr. 2B HOU
  69. Brian Goodwin OF WAS
  70. Kolten Wong 2B STL
  71. Alex Meyer RHP MIN
  72. Dan Straily RHP OAK
  73. Aaron Hicks OF MIN
  74. Slade Heathcott OF NYY
  75. Wily Peralta RHP MIL
  76. Zach Lee RHP LAD
  77. Jake Odorizzi RHP TBR
  78. Luis Heredia RHP PIT
  79. Allen Webster RHP BOS
  80. Matt Wisler RHP SDP
  81. Dorssys Paulino SS CLE
  82. Martin Perez LHP TEX
  83. Derek Starling OF KCR
  84. Corey Seager 3B LAD
  85. Lance McCullers RHP HOU
  86. Leonys Martin OF TEX
  87. Rafael Montero RHP NYM
  88. Michael Fulmer RHP NYM
  89. Kyle Gibson RHP MIN
  90. Yasiel Puig OF LAD
  91. Tyler Austin OF NYY
  92. Adalberto Mondesi SS KCR
  93. Chris Stratton RHP SFG
  94. Stryker Trahan C ARI
  95. Andrew Heaney LHP MIA
  96. Domingo Tapia RHP NYM
  97. Jorge Alfaro C TEX
  98. Joey Gallo 3B/1B TEX
  99. Mauricio Cabrera RHP ATL
  100. Miguel Almonte RHP KCR
JD Sussman
JD Sussman
About JD Sussman

JD is a co-founder of Bullpen Banter and muses about prospects, sabermetrics, and often intermingles law and baseball in his work. In addition to managing the site, JD is awaiting admission to the New York Bar. Additionally, he sporadically contributes a prospect column toFangraphs. Be wise and follow him on Twitter. He can be reached via e-mail at jdsussman@bullpenbanter.com.

Articles

8 Comments on "Individual Top 100 Prospect Lists: JD Sussman"

  1. Profile Photo
    Tim April 3, 2013 at 10:39 am -

    Reason for Teheran all the way down in the 60s?

    • Profile Photo
      JD Sussman April 3, 2013 at 10:56 am -

      That’s where he was on the initial list and I promised myself I wouldn’t change rankings based on Spring Training statistics.

      His changeup has always been great, but his fastball was too straight, and he lacked a quality breaking ball. Then his velocity decreased and his mechnis changed, that  was worrisome (FG Link).

      I understand changes were made, but I’m not buying him as more than a 3/4 until he does it in real games.

  2. Profile Photo
    David April 3, 2013 at 10:49 am -

    I have two questions:
    (1) I don’t see Nick Franklin on your list. Can you explain why?
    (2) Paxton over Meyer? I think Meyer has higher ceiling than Paxton. Both have command
    problem.

    • Profile Photo
      JD Sussman April 3, 2013 at 10:59 am -

      (1) Franklin isn’t an SS and he won’t hit enough to be an above average second baseman either.

      (2) Paxton’s inconsistancies are frustrating, but he has a better chance of sticking in the rotation than Meyer,

  3. Profile Photo
    Cool Lester Smooth April 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm -

    Why is JBJ so far above Williams?  Just the safety factor?

    • Profile Photo
      JD Sussman April 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm -

      First, I swear Bradley’s ranking was not changed at any point during or after Spring Training.

      Yes, the safety factor was big. Players who perform at high levels earn higher rankings for me.  Bradley’s approach is far better too, that’s also a big thing for me.

      • Profile Photo
        Cool Lester Smooth April 4, 2013 at 3:08 am -

        Thanks.  Being a biased Yankees fan, I’m just gonna keep preferring Williams because Bradley’s approach can’t get much better at this point; he’s an all but finished product who’s gonna but up OBP-driven .330-.350 wOBA’s and play good to great defense for the next 10 years without many stolen bases.
        With Mason I can dream on him improving to the point of being 2012 Austin Jackson with more steals and less Ks, even if he’s just as likely to be Angel Pagan.