Widgets Magazine

Jurickson Profar #1 – 2013 Top 100

Written By on 29th March, 2013

#1 Jurickson Profar (Shortstop[S/R], Texas Rangers)

Age PA HR SB AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ Fld WAR
19 17 1 0 .176 .176 .471 .269 59 -0.3 0.0

Date of Birth: February 20, 1993 (Age 20)
Origin: Willemstad, Curacao
Height: 6’0″
Weight: 165
Other Links: 2012 Top 100: #4 Jurickson Profar; 2011 Top 100: #47 Jurickson Profar; 2013 Shortstop Fantasy Rankings 2013 Second Baseman Fantasy Rankings; Minor League Player of the Year Round Table; The Lost 2012 Curaçao Olympic Baseball Team

Al Skorupa: What else is there to say about the best prospect in the game? Profar has a fantastic feel for the game of baseball. He plays with enthusiasm and is a high effort player, but he still makes the game look easy. Profar is a great athlete and a smooth defender at shortstop with a strong arm. He may not be the equal of Elvis Andrus at short, but his glove is almost wasted at second base. Profar doesn’t have 30 home run power, nor will he steal 50 bases. What he does have is quality tools and an innate hitting ability that elevates his entire game. He’s going to be a good one.

Conor Dowley: Of all the guys I’ve seen live, Profar is still my favorite, bar none. He’s silky smooth in every phase of the game, plays with a high motor, works to learn more about the game, and is genuinely likable on top of it. His swing is gorgeous, he has a fantastic eye for what’s coming at him, and he’s utterly unflappable. While he’s probably never going to put up superstar numbers in any one category, there’s little reason not to think that he won’t put up very good numbers in a whole bunch of them.

Steve Fiorindo:  Al and Conor were brief in their assessments, and there’s honestly not much for me to add.  There’s just not that much that needs to be said about Profar, and he’s the top prospect in the game to me with no hesitation.  Others merit consideration for the spot, but when it comes down to it there’s no other real choice. He’s not quite in the same class that Harper and Trout were last year as prospects, but he’s damn close.

Fantasy Outlook by Michael Curtis: Profar is our top prospect in the game for a reason, and part of that is the long term potential to be a five category contributor from a very shallow position. While both Yahoo! and ESPN have Profar only at 2B heading into 2013 (and his playing time is far from guaranteed this season), his outlook as a 20+/20+ performer at SS in the not too distant future make him a must add in dynasty and keeper formats, that is if he is still available.

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

2013 Top 100 Prospects

3 Comments on "Jurickson Profar #1 – 2013 Top 100"