Widgets Magazine

Milwaukee Brewers Top 10 Prospects for 2014

Written By on 13th January, 2014

Hellweg

The Brewers system has been in a down cycle for a few years now and giving up their 2013 1st rounder to sign Kyle Lohse didn’t help the situation. Some smart picks and signings have the overall level of tools and arms in the system trending in the right direction. – AS

Milwaukee Brewers Top 10 Prospects for 2014

#
PLAYER
POS
COMMENT
1Jimmy NelsonRHPNelson is a power arm with two strong pitches, but he still might end up best suited to the bullpen. Nelson doesn't repeat his delivery well and suffers from command and control lapses. The former Alabama righty has only a show me changeup and problems getting left-handed hitters out. He'll likely get a chance to show he can start in 2014, though. - AS
2Mitch HanigerOFHaniger is built like a football player and his athleticism is a good portion of his appeal. Despite this, Haniger doesn't run particularly well but he does project well for right field with his strong throwing arm. He controls the strike zone well and his well above average raw power will eventually play. - AS
3Devin WilliamsRHPMilwaukee's second round pick may have the most upside in the system with his combination of athleticism. projection, and present stuff. He can already touch the mid 90s and throw a quality change up; the slider lags behind but is another viable offering. Williams lacks polish and will need to improve his the consistency in his control and secondaries as he matures. -JR
4Tyrone TaylorOFHas the tools to develop into an above average player. He runs really well, and showed more aptitude with the bat in his hands than I thought he would when I watched him. I could see moderate home run power and a guy that hits for average down the road. Good chance to be a plus defender as well. -JV
5Nick Delmonico3BNick Delmonico has a solid offensive skill set, highlighted by his advanced approach and good in-game power. His work at third base will determine his future value. Delmonico is just an OK third baseman at present; if it degenerates and forces him to move across the diamond, his lack of a true standout tool would be magnified. -JR VIDEO
6Victor RoacheOFHave known about Roache's power potential since he was a high schooler. Legitimate power threat to all fields and if he learns to control the strike zone well enough, could be a 30 plus home run type. I don't think he ever hits for average, but does have a corner outfield/first base type profile. -JV LINK
7Clint CoulterCCoulter was advertised as an advanced prep bat. The consensus was he had the tools to stay behind the plate but would need a lot of work to do so. 2013 was an up and down year, so two years later the story remains much the same with Coulter. - AS VIDEO
8Taylor JungmannRHPThe former Texas Longhorns ace profiles as more of a back of the rotation starter. Jungmann pitches off of a sinking low 90s fastball, mixing in a solid slider and below-average change up. His control continues to be ahead of his command, limiting the number of swinging strikes he can induce. -JR
9John HellwegRHPHellweg remains the same as he's been for the last few years of prospect status. He's a big guy with long levers trying to figure out a better way to repeat his delivery and stuff. Pitchers with this profile often figure things out late, and in either case Hellweg has a major league power arm. - AS VIDEO
10Tucker NeuhausSS/3BNeuhaus missed much of last Spring with various minor injuries and perhaps slipped in the Draft because of it. He's still a project and growing into his tools and body, but could profile as a bat first shortstop or solid third baseman eventually. - AS

Other Brewers Prospects of Note

PLAYER
POS
COMMENT
Jorge LopezRHPLopez is intriguing to me though I have only seen him twice. He has a solid fastball in the low 90's at this point, but with his lanky frame, it's easy to imagine he could be sitting mid 90's in the future. He also shows a power curve with big break as well, that flashes as plus at times. I didn't get a good feel for his change, because I didn't see enough, which likely means it's still a work in progress. The big thing he needs to work on is his command, he was all over the place with all of his pitches, and his delivery was inconsistent. Still, Lopez is an intriguing piece of clay to work with. -JV
David GoforthRHPBig time arm strength has always been David Goforth's calling card, but it has not often translated into big strikeout numbers as a starting pitcher (neither at Ole Miss nor during pro ball). The Brewers moved Goforth into a bullpen role at Double-A; that's where his future likely lies. It suits the power approach and lessen the demands on his fringy secondaries. -JR

Milwaukee Brewers Notable 2013 Draft Picks

ROUND
PICK
PLAYER
POS
SCHOOL
254Devin WilliamsRHPHazelwood West HS (MO)
2S72Tucker NeuhausSSWharton HS (FL)
390Barrett AstinRHPArkansas
4122Taylor WilliamsRHPKent State
5152Josh UhenRHPWisconsin-Milwaukee
7212Omar GarciaOFMiami Dade JC (FL)
8242Brandon DiazOFAmerican Heritage HS (FL)
9272Tyler LinehanLHPFresno State
12362Trevor SeidenbergerLHPTCU

Draft Recap: The Brewers lacked a first round pick, but managed to scoop up a couple guys in the 2nd round who might be first round talents (Devin Williams and Tucker Neuhaus.

Bullpen Banter
Bullpen Banter
About Bullpen Banter

Bullpen Banter is a conglomeration of writers from across the country, offering its readers scouting content and video of baseball prospects at the professional and amateur levels.

Articles, Features, Prospect Video, Team Prospect Rankings

3 Comments on "Milwaukee Brewers Top 10 Prospects for 2014"

  1. Profile Photo
    Greg January 22, 2014 at 4:35 pm -

    I know they’re a long way away from reaching their ceilings, but what do you think are the ceilings for Tyrone Taylor and Devin Williams?

    • Profile Photo
      John Verburg March 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm -

      Greg,
      I can’t speak to Williams other than what I’ve heard, but I think Taylor has potential to be an average regular on a big league club.

  2. Profile Photo
    Matt March 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm -

    What about Hunter Morris? Will he ever get a shot? Been following him couple years and seems to be a nice power bat but never seems to get any recognition.